Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Out of My Element

On Sunday, Gavin and I headed up to the Atlanta Motor Speedway for a little NASCAR racing.  He won tickets and pit passes from AFLAC and, after a little coaxing, I decided I'd join him.  Needless to say, I was totally out of my element.  I mean- these people are die hard!  I had no idea how expensive races were.  The total value of our winnings came out to be $400!  But these people pay it!  And pay for pit passes.  And pay for garage passes.  And pay for a "appropriate" attire in some cases (oh, and how I wish I had some pictures of some peoples' attire).  We started the afternoon by browsing the parking lot and came upon this...
.


Then we headed to the pits, which were literally the pits.  It's hot on that asphalt!
.


After checking everything out, we headed to our seats for the race.










Although we are not big race fans, Gavin seems to keep up with it some.  And one thing I know is that Gavin does not like Jeff Gordon, so when I saw him taking a picture of Gordon's car I had to ask why.  He was taking a picture because Gordon's daughter designed his car for the race.  I thought that was a pretty cute idea!


While I was trying to take a few pictures, this occurred...





And 'ole Elliott was knocked out of the race...



Surprisingly enough, I ended up hanging in there through the interesting fans and loud cars to see the end.  Tony Stewart won, and apparently the race fans like him, so that's a good thing.



So, that's one more thing to check off my bucket list.  Not that it was necessarily on my bucket list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...